Take a virtual tour of Stark County to learn more about its communities.

A city is legislatively defined as a municipality of population 5,000 or more registered resident electors or resident voters. A city is a legally defined government entity, with powers delegated by the state and county and created and approved by the voters of the city. It provides local government services to its citizens. As of 2009 the Ohio Secretary of State indicates there are 251 cities and 681 villages in Ohio.

http://www.cityofalliance.com/

The City of Alliance was formed in 1850 with the merging of the three small communities of Williamsport, Liberty, and Freedom. Four years later in 1854, the village incorporated as Alliance. In 1889, the Village of Mount Union was annexed into Alliance. Two major railroad lines intersected in Alliance, once known as "The Crossing". This is another popular interpretation of how the city was named. Alliance is a town rich with social, industrial and railroad history. Alliance is also home to the World War History & Art Museum.

http://www.cityofcanalfulton-oh.gov/

In 1814 the Village of Milan, named after Milan, Italy, was the first settlement west of the Tuscarawas River in Stark County. In 1826 the Village of Fulton was founded. It was located on the east side of the Tuscarawas River opposite Milan. In 1832, the name “Canal” was prefixed to Fulton as it seemed to convey a more dynamic quality. Several years later, the Village was incorporated and, in 1853, Canal Fulton, West Fulton and Milan merged to form one community.

http://cantonohio.gov

Bezaleel Wells founded Canton in 1805. The City of Canton is the county seat of Stark County. Located in northeastern Ohio, the City of Canton provides its residents with many benefits of big-city living while maintaining its charm as a medium-sized Midwestern town. Canton is home to such well-known national landmarks as the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame, the William McKinley Presidential Library/National Monument, and the National First Ladies Library and Research Center, the Canton Palace Theatre and the Canton Classic Car Museum.

http://www.louisvilleohio.com/

The City of Louisville is now within Constitution Township and surrounded by Nimishillen Township, one of the original townships of Stark County. On October 8, 1834, Louisville was formally settled by Henry Lautzenheiser, from Germany, and Henry Fainot, a French Huguenot. The city was named after Lautzenheiser's son, Lewis, and called Lewisville, Ohio. When the post office was established in 1837, it was discovered Ohio already had a Lewisville, so the spelling was changed to Louisville.

https://www.massillonohio.gov/

Massillon was incorporated as a village in 1853. The Board of Trade, organized in 1890, developed into the Chamber of Commerce in 1915. Thus, year after year, thriving industrial activities have grown until Massillon became one of the foremost steel and metal working centers of the world. Massillon remains a vital center of steelmaking and fabricating. The city's industrial base continues to expand, with growing food processing, chemical processing and industrial machinery manufacturing becoming ever more important.

https://northcantonohio.gov/

The City of North Canton first began as the Village of New Berlin in 1831. New Berlin was the first village to be plotted in Plain Township. In January of 1918, New Berlin became known as North Canton. North Canton has a rich history, one that has encouraged growth. It is because of this history, and the firm economic foundation which it has provided, that North Canton will continue to be a successful, desirable community in which to live.

A village is an incorporated municipality with fewer than 5,000 inhabitants (not including residents of educational or correctional facilities). The minimum population for incorporation as a village is 1,600 inhabitants. If a village grows to 5,000 residents, it is automatically designated as a city. Cities or villages may be within township areas; however, if a city or village covers the same boundaries as a township, the township ceases to exist as a separate government

http://www.brewsterohio.com/

Brewster is a community of tree lined streets nestled in a valley bordered by Sugar Creek that was incorporated in 1910. The Village is located in northeast Ohio approximately 15 miles southwest of Canton, Ohio. Brewster is a small town of 2,112 residents, who are a blend of what makes a progressive community. The Village’s major industries are, Brewster Dairy, the largest Swiss cheese producer in North America, Shearer Foods, an easily recognized snack food manufacturer, and the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway, a prominent regional railroad. The Village of Brewster strives to provide up-to-date services that enhance the residents’ quality of life.

The  Village of East Canton  was settled in the 1700’s and had the honor of being the first county seat. It is home to approximately 1,591 people, located in the heart of Osnaburg Township just 10 miles east of Canton. The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad brought many passengers through the village in the late 1800’s. The Werner Inn that is still in use served as a tavern in the 1800’s. Just across the street stands The Stage Coach Inn which also offered weary travelers a place to stay. Some buildings in the Nassau Street "business district" built as early as 1844 were general stores, hotels, blacksmith, pool hall, and meat market are still in use today.

In I814 a Quaker, Amos Janney, settled in the lower portion of Pike Township. He was a surveyor by profession but had an inclination towards business. He built a sawmill and a gristmill, the first in the township. He surveyed and platted the  village of Sparta.  He recorded the plat only a few days after Pike Township itself was organized. He called his village Sparta after the rival of Athens in the history of ancient Greece. In the original plat there were four street crossings at right angles. They were named for animals: Buffalo, Elk, Wolf and Bear.

http://www.hartvilleoh.com/

Hartville has enjoyed prosperity and peacefulness due in part to the work ethic and moral commitment of its founders and successive generations of Ohioans. With major businesses and small town shops, Hartville is the center of activity for over 2900 residents. The greater Hartville community boasts several parks, restaurants and shops. The Village of Hartville is a great place to live, work, and raise a family! Surrounded by farms and rural greenery, Hartville is a thriving small community, with outstanding schools, places of worship, excellent safety forces, and a variety of recreational opportunities. The residents of Hartville have a strong sense of pride in a variety of civic endeavors that benefit the community.

It is an affluent suburban enclave near Canton. Hills and Dales population was 221 at the 2010 census.

http://minerva.oh.us

By 1868 when the Pennsylvania railroad came to town the Pennock Brothers, Willard and Issac, manufactured and patented the first steel railway car in the United States. Minerva is also the birth place of Charles E. Wilson, Secretary of Defense under President Eisenhower. President William McKinley also frequented the Minerva Area while visiting his summer home located a few miles east of Minerva locally known as the McKinley Farm. Today Minerva offers an outstanding quality of life and an excellent place to raise a family, work, or to retire to.

Meyers Lake was founded in 1812. The first to claim the lake in 1812 was a European settler by the name of Bezaleel Wells, a founder of the City of Canton. Meyers Lake Village was incorporated in 1927. According to the 2000 census, its population was 565 people. Landmarks include a 144 acre lake in a very peaceful surrounding in the central part of Stark County. One of its greatest strengths is being a very quiet setting around the lake's natural beauty making it a desirable location for living. Meyers Lake Village was incorporated in 1927 and has had its ups and downs during its early development. However, it has enjoyed a steady rejuvenation during the last 20 years.

http://www.navarreohio.net/

Nestled on the banks of the Tuscarawas River, is the Village of Navarre. Revered Christian Frederick Post, built the first dwelling within the present boundaries of Ohio in 1761. Originally, Navarre was three separate villages, each having their own square. It was an amalgamation of the three hamlets: Bethlehem, Rochester, and Navarre. A financial depression resulted in fierce competition between the three villages and caused a rivalry which was intense and bitter. In 1872, the three communities decided to incorporate the villages and name it Navarre.

Waynesburg was platted in 1814, and named in honor of Anthony Wayne.  It is part of the Canton-Massillon, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Wilmot was originally called Milton, and was the first village to be laid out and recorded in Sugar Creek township in 1836 The Wilmot post office has been in operation since 1866. According to the 2010 census, the population was 304. It has a total area of 0.14 square miles, all land.

Townships were the first form of local government in Ohio. With the formation of the Ohio Territory under the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, the six mile township squares were used as a means of establishing local civil governments in the territory.

Since the adoption of the 1851 Ohio Constitution, the basic form of township government has remained unchanged. Townships are governed by three elected Trustees serving four year terms. A Board of Trustees is the legislative authority and fulfills many executive responsibilities.

Bethlehem Township: Organized in March of 1815, this township was named for the hometown of many of the German and English settlers who migrated to this area from Pennsylvania. By 1817, the community of Bethlehem had a log school house and a log church. With the exception of the Village of Navarre, Bethlehem Township has maintained it rural character.

Butler Township: Organized in September of 1851 by Matthias Hester, with a population of 250. In this manner the Village of Liberty (now known as Alliance) grew due to the prosperity of the railroads, factories, businesses and surrounding farms. In 1888 Mount Union was absorbed into Alliance.

Canton Township: Cantontwp-oh.gov One of the five original townships created in March of 1809. The first settlers were James F. Leonard and James and Henry Barber. Communities within Canton Township are Meyers lake, North Industry and Waco.

Jackson Township: jacksontwp.com Organized in 1815 it was part of Palin Township.  Jackson Township was named in honor of General Andrew Jackson.  McDonaldsville was the first village to be platted and recorded in Jackson Township.  The only incorporated village in this township is Hills and Dales, which occupies a unique history and position in Stark County.

Lake Township:  laketwpstarkco.com Organized by the county commissioners in June of 1816, Lake Township was the 12th township.  Originally a part of Plain Township it is 33.5 square mile in area.  The incorporated village of Hartville and the unincorporated villages of Cairo, Greentown, and Uniontown and the historic village of Aultman are situated within its borders.

Lawrence Township: Originally part of Plain Township, it separated in 1810 and was platted in 1815.  It was named for Captain James Lawrence of the U.S. Navy who had become famous during the War of 1812 for his quote: “don’t give up the ship”.  The first wedding in Stark County took place in Lawrence Township on June 6, 1806.

Lexington Township:  Named for the famous battle of the Revolutionary war, it is located in the northeast corner of Stark County.  The first settlers to the township were Quakers who arrived in 1805.

Marlboro Township:  Organized in March of 1816, it originally was established as the western boundary between Indian Territory and land claimed by settlers in 1785.  It originally was part of Lexington Township.  Price for land was established at $2.00 per acre and could be paid in three installments at the land office in Stuebenville, Ohio.

Massillon Township:  Four separate villages merged to create the city of Massillon: Kendall, Massillon, West Massillon and East Brookfield.  The settlement was named by Mrs. James Duncan for Jean Baptiste Massillon, a Roman Catholic French Bishop in the days of King Louis XIV.

McKinley Township:  The City of Canton occupies the entire township.

Nimishillen Township:  nimishillentownship.com The Township surrounds the City of Louisville and was organized in 1809.  A major attraction to the area was timber especially poplar and chestnut.  Agriculture did not flourish in the township because of the clay content of the soil on higher ground and the large quantity of gravel in the low lying areas.

Osnaburg Township:  osnaburgtwp.com The Township, organized in 1806 was laid out in the fall of 1806 by James Leeper.  The township was one of four military training spots in Stark County during the War of 1812.  Prior to 1896, coal mining was the leading industry in the area.  By the 1900’s clay tile industry replaced mining as the leading industry.  Besides it production of high grade ceramic products the township is well known as an apple orchard center.

Paris Township:  Organized in 1818, Paris Township was formed from the east portion of Osnaburg Township. The stagecoach traffic contributed to the growth of the communities on this main east to west thoroughfare.  Paris Township is still basically a rural community.

Perry Township:  perrytwp.com Organized in December of 1817 Perry Township was named in honor of Oliver Hazard Perry, hero of the War of 1812 victory near Put-in-Bay.  The township was created from portions of Lake and Tuscarawas Townships.  Jonathan Chapman better known as Johnny Appleseed is credit with planting the first orchard in Perry Township.

Pike Township:  Organized in 1815, Pike Township was created from a portion of Canton Township.  George Young one of the earliest known settlers in Pike Township was of German descent and was a farmer.

Plain Township:  plaintownship.com One of the five original townships in 1809, it included what is now Lake, Lawrence and Jackson Township areas.  Its name comes from its gentle rolling terrain.  The territory was sparsely settled and was in habited by wild animals.  Plain Township has one of the oldest cemeteries in the county, Henry Werstler Cemetery, in continuous operation since 1808.

Sandy Township:  Organized in March of 1809, Sandy Township was named after is predominately sandy soil.  John Brown developed a three-foot gauge one-half mile railroad through the county.  Mules powered the system which was used to transport stone from the quarry to Elson’s dam.

Sugarcreek Township:  Organized in 1816 from a portion of Tuscarawas Township acquired it name from Sugar Creek that runs through it.  During the Civil War, Sugarcreek Township sent more soldiers to the Union Army than any other township in the United States, in proportion to its population.

Tuscarawas Township:  Organized in March of 1810, Tuscarawas Township was formed from land purchased from the Indians.  Originally the makeup of the settlers was Pennsylvania Dutch, New Yorkers and the Scotch-Irish Presbyterians.  The township’s present geographic size was created in 1816 when portion of it were taken for Jackson, Lawrence, Perry, Bethlehem, and Sugarcreek Townships.  Much of the township is still farmland.

Washington Township:  wash-twp-stark-oh.us Organized in 1820 Washington Township is on the eastern side of Stark County.  It was created from a portion of Lexington Township.  It was heavily wooded with small creeks.  Originally four towns were platted, but only two survive today.